Friday, May 24, 2013

Bronzers: The Good, The Bad, and The OOMPA LOOMPA




Hi beauties,

Last week, I did a YouTube video called Bronzers: The Good, The Bad, and The Oompa Loompa, which showed you the bronzers that I have tried and whether I thought they were worth a second look. I wanted to do a blog post to go along with it so that you could see the products up close and see swatches in case you aren't into YouTube videos!

Let's get started with the drugstore bronzers!


Rimmel London Natural Bronzer- Sun Light: This is my favorite bronzer out of both categories! The Natural bronzer is true to its claims, it is very natural. You aren't going to look orange, or like a disco ball, because although there does seem to be some shimmer in the pan, once applied, there is no shimmer to be found. I use this year round, and find that it warms up my skin tone in the winter, and then contours perfectly in the summer. It is a holy grail product for me, and I find myself consistently choosing this bronzer over all my higher end bronzers.


ELF Contouring Blush & Bronzing Powder: Ignore the blush, it's good, but the bronzer is better. This bronzer is very dark, but is a dream to blend out. You do have to apply with a light hand, because I have found that I can look a little "muddy" with this. Not orange at all, just a little..well dirty looking. This product is supposed to be a dupe for the Nars Orgasm blush & Laguna bronzer duo. I haven't tried the Nars Laguna bronzer, but I'd highly recommend this ELF bronzer. The Elf duo is only $3 USD, and for that price you can't go wrong. I find myself reaching for this most in the summer, when I have more of a tan.



Revlon Colorstay Mineral Finishing Powder- 020 Suntan Matte: When these first came on the market, people were comparing them to MAC's Mineralize Skin finishes. I was attracted to this because it was a part of the Colorstay range, as I have really liked most of the colorstay products that I've tried. Like the name suggests, this product is matte, which is great for summer. I find myself using this dusted lightly over my face in the summer to give me one uniform shade. It is a lot lighter than it looks in the pan, and the veining throughout really help the color be more neutral toned, which is rare for a bronzer. I'd recommend this one to any and all skin types.


NYC Smooth Skin Bronzing Face Powder- 720A Sunny: I remember this product being the first bronzer I ever tried, way back in highschool. I was never really great with makeup back then, and I remember applying the Sunny bronzer with the little puff it came with, all over my face, which was totally not a good look but I remember really liking the bronzer. I'm not sure if the formula has changed, but I'm a little UNDERwhelmed with this when I repurchased. I remember it being darker, and a lot more powdery. If you were to drop it slightly, it would shatter. I know that probably sounds like a bad thing, but to me it was a good thing, because it meant that I could blend it out easily. I find this bronzer hard to work with, because first, I have a hard time getting my brush to pick up any product, and when I do get product on my brush, I find that after applied, it is almost impossible to blend out. This is a product that I find can make me look dirty, which isn't good. Although it is some peoples holy grail bronzer, it just doesn't work for me. I wouldn't recommend.


Benefit Hula Bronzer: I like this bronzer, but I'm not sure that I would repurchase because I find that it can pull a little grey on me. I use this more as a contour powder than I do as a bronzer, because it doesn't warm up my skin. It is great for contouring since it is matte, and really mimics a natural shadow on your face. It is pretty expensive, but you don't need a ton to get the look you are going for. If you want to splurge on a bronzer, I'd recommend this, but only for those with paler complexions, because I don't feel like it would show up on darker skin tones, which is really unfortunate.
 

Too Faced Sun Bunny Bronzing Powder: This was my first higher end bronzer, and I think it is great for a variety of skin tones. This is a dual sided bronzer, one side being a more neutral based color, and one side being a more orange/warmer toned bronzer. It can be built up to be very dark, or you could use the lighter side by itself to achieve the look you're going for. It is really expensive for what it is, but it is one of my favorite higher end bronzers. If you want to check out this bronzer, I'd probably wait until Too Faced has it's bi-annual "vintage sale" or it's friends and family sale, so that you can get a bit of a discount.
 


MAC Smooth Harmony Beauty Powder: This is probably the darkest bronzer that I own. It is really, really, REALLY (can't say that enough) orange based. I would describe this as almost a terracotta toned bronzer. It is extremely pigmented compared to the other MAC beauty powders that I have tried. If you are careful with this YOU WILL LOOK LIKE AN OOMPA LOOMPA! It can be sheered out, but it takes a lot of blending. I find myself using this most in the summer if I am super tanned. This would work well for those with medium to dark warmer skin tones. If you aren't an expert at blending, I'd stay far far far away from this!


MAC Refined Golden Bronzing Powder: I know it probably sounds like I'm hating on MAC, but I'm really not. MAC is one of my favorite brands in general, I just really don't think the bronzers are worth your time. Refined Golden is lighter than Smooth Harmony, and it also has some very chunky gold glitter. (not shimmer..actual glitter) I find this hard to blend out, which can make it look very harsh. For those with more neutral or lightly olive undertones, this will pull very orange. This is another bronzer that makes it look very obvious that I have applied bronzer, and it makes me look orange. It is also expensive, and I prefer all my drugstore bronzers over it!!

Why does blogger like to mutilate my photos! What even happened here?
 [L-R] Benefit Hula, Too Faced Sun Bunny, MAC Smooth Harmony, MAC Refined Golden





The Good:
Rimmel London Natural Bronzer
Revlon Colorstay
ELF
Benefit Hula
Too Faced Sun Bunny

The Bad:
NYC Sunny
Too Faced Sun Bunny- I'm also listing it under the "bad" because it is WAY overpriced

The Oompa Loompa: 
MAC Smooth Harmony (STAY AWAYYYY!)
MAC Refined Golden (STAY AWAY FROM ME CHUNKY GOLD GLITTER!)

I hope you are having a wonderful week!

Thanks you SO much for reading! You can follow me here on blogger or bloglovin' if you'd like to stay in the loop with happenings on my blog!

You can also follow me on twitter: @MissStyleMonstr

XOXO,
Erin

 

No comments:

Post a Comment