Thursday, April 11, 2013

Products I Regret Buying #1



Hi Beauties,

*First of all I'd just like to say that I apologize for the quality of the second photo. It is rainy, dreary, and thunderstorm-y and it's basically impossible to take a photo with okay lighting. Thankfully, the photo is reasonable enough so that you are able to see the products. I even tried to edit it, and the colors just weren't fixable.*

I have never made a "Products I regret buying" post, and I have accumulated a few products that I do indeed regret buying, so I thought that now is a great time to share!

MAC Face & Body Foundation: It kind of pains me to have to add this to the list because it is a lovely foundation, however I do regret buying it! I have this foundation in the shade C1 which is the closest color match to my skin tone that I have ever found in MAC. This foundation has no SPF and looks beautiful in High-Definition and is perfect to wear during photoshoots or events where you will have your photo taken a lot. It looks so natural and is light yet has the ability to be layered up and is a buildable coverage. The reason that I regret buying it is because it has the reputation to go "off" quite quickly. The bottle says it is to be kept for 24 months, but I have read that it tends to never last that long. You get a lot of product in the bottle, and you only need a tiny amount. You would never be able to finish the bottle before it expires. Personally, my bottle went off right around the 24 month mark, and developed a putrid gag inducing smell that is unbearable. Wearing it at least 4 times a week for nearly 2 years, I was only able to use a little over half of the bottle. To me it just seems that there should be a small version available for those of us who are using it on ourselves rather than clients as makeup artists would, because a lot of the product ends up getting wasted.

Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse Foundation: I really, really, REALLY dislike this foundation, which some people find surprising since the general consensus on YouTube is that its a great and sometimes HOLY GRAIL deemed foundation. I personally do not see the hype. Sure for the first hour or two the foundation does look beautiful and airbrushed as advertised. After that one to two hour mark however, this foundation gets extremely patchy, and not the kind of patchy where it is hardly noticeable, I'm talking the kind of patchy that is extremely noticeable to the point where people either think I've been splatter painting my face with foundation, or that I have a skin condition. It also oxidizes like nothing I have ever seen before. It turns not the usual orange tint we think of when thinking about when foundations oxidize, but this foundation turns a true orange hue. It is just bad. It may be holy grail for some people, but for me, that just isn't the case.

Covergirl Nature Luxe Foundation: I found this line of foundations to have shades with a predominately pink undertone, which just doesn't work for me. No amount of powder would be able to color correct the pink base in this foundation for me. It also has a noticeable fragrance, which just sent my skin over the edge. Thanks to this foundation, I got to experience cystic acne for the first time in my life. I got a cystic spot right on the side of my nose near the tear duct side of my eye, and it was large to the point where people thought I had gotten punched because of how swollen it was. It was just a horrible experience for me.

Phyto Botanical Straightening Balm: I'm not sure what I was thinking with this one. I was "sold" on this product when it promised to transform unruly curly frizzy hair to straight hair without the straightener. Boy was I UNDERWHELMED. I combed this through my hair as the bottle suggests, and then slept on it overnight as per usual. The next day my hair had the feeling of a extremely waxy coating and my scalp was very itchy. I saw Essie Button mention this in either her favorites video or a product empties video and she loved it, so I'm not sure if I am using it wrong or what, but I am open to any and all suggestions on this.

Olay Cream Hair Removal Duo System: Whether we want to admit it or not, us females do have hair on our face. It could be baby hairs, peach fuzz, hair on the lip, or chin, but typically it's just one of those things that we have to deal with. I tried this product after seeing the commercial and advertisements. It is a nice product and does its job, but it is pretty expensive compared to other similar products on the market. I prefer the Sally Hansen cream hair remover as it does the same job, and you get more product for a cheaper price. 

It's a 10 Miracle Leave in Product: I've mentioned this before, and it is an okay product, but I  don't feel like the amount of change you see in your hair justifies the 20$ price tag. I'd classify this product as "over-hyped", it just doesn't do much for my hair.

Back To Basics Green Tea Finish Spray: The reason that I'm including this is because I regret using it due to the packaging. I love when Ulta has crazy sales on higher end hair sprays because that is usually when I stock up on my favorites. I saw that this was included in the sale and it was the last one left so I thought I would give it a try. It smelled good and had shea butter, green tea, and witch hazel in it, so it sounded right up my alley. The one time I don't check the spray nozzle in the store is the one time I buy a hairspray with a broken  spray nozzle. I'm not sure if this is true with all Ulta's, but at my nearest Ulta, during these huge sales, it is "final sale" meaning it cannot be exchanged or returned. Hence why I am stuck with a hairspray that I cannot use. Does anyone know how I can fix it? The nozzle isn't clogged, it just is completely broken!

CVS Brand Cocoa Butter gel body oil: I've read on blogs and watched reviews on YouTube where people say how great of a multipurpose product this is. It is supposed to moisturize even the driest skin and make your skin look glowing. I was all over that like a bee to honey! I have dry skin and found this to be not at all moisturizing. This just sat on the top of my skin and didn't even sink in overnight. There was a greasy feeling residue that just wasn't pleasant. (Probably because its first ingredient is mineral oil!)


There we have it! My products that I regret buying!!! I'd love to hear of products that you think I should steer clear of!

XOXO,
Erin

 

No comments:

Post a Comment