Wednesday, January 30, 2013

January 2013 Favorite products

Hi beauties,

January was a VERY interesting month to say the least. As with every month, it was a complete roller coaster filled with the typical ups and downs. I did have a ton of standout beauty products that were my favorite this month though! I thought I would share them.


[L-R] VS Pink With A Splash -Wild & Breezy All-Over Body Mist, Nars Orgasm Blush, ELF Waterproof Eyeliner pen, Revlon Grow Luscious Mascara, It's a 10 miracle leave-in product, Dior Creme de Rose lip balm, MAC Constructivist Paint Pot, Real Techniques buffing brush, NYX Pushup Bra For Your Eyebrow, Wet N Wild Megalast Nail polish 206C Undercover, Revlon Age Defying Concealer, ELF Face Kabuki brush, Fresh Sugar Berry Lip treatment, Make Up For Ever High Definition Foundation, Garnier Nutritioniste Skin Renew Anti-Sun-Damage Daily Moisture Lotion, Victoria's Secret Moisture Luxe Body Creme with Shea butter in Rich Indulgence.






Victoria's Secret Moisture Luxe Body Creme with Shea butter in the scent Rich Indulgence

I absolutely ADORE this body butter by Victoria's Secret which I received as a Christmas present this year. The scent is described as "cashmere woods & lily" and it is a soft scent that really lingers throughout the day. This body creme has a thicker more rich consistency when compared to the typical Victoria's Secret body butters. This is unfortunately a discontinued scent, which is something that absolutely drives me insane about Victoria's Secret because it seems like every time I get attached to a product, it becomes discontinued (example my BELOVED VS Supermodel perfume. :( ) This was a limited edition product so hopefully that means it will be re-promoted in the future, and if so, I will be STOCKING up on this, because it really is a product that saves my dry skin.

Sorry about the sideways photo. I can't for the life of me figure out how to turn it right side up.

It's a 10 Miracle leave-in product

I'm not in love with this product to be honest, but I am including it in my favorites because I have enjoyed using this product as a detangler, the past month. It supposedly does 10 things for your hair, which I'm sure if you read beauty blogs, you have heard a lot about already. I haven't found that the product does much at all for my hair other than helps to detangle it when I get out of the shower. This little 120 ml/4 fl oz bottle cost around $19.00 USD depending on where you buy it, and for me personally, I don't think it is worth the price for only seeing results in the detangling department. I most likely will not repurchase this, although I have a friend who swears by the It's a 10 miracle leave-in treatment with keratin which has the orange top, so I may try that, or just research a better alternative. 

Garnier Nutritioniste Skin Renew Anti-Sun-Damage Daily Mositure Lotion

I have been really enjoying this product, not only does it smell wonderful and fruity (which I find to be a great pick me up in the morning) but it feels light yet effective on the skin, and even has an SPF of 28. I have several sun spots and some other hyper pigmentation issues on my face, as well as some killer dark zombie circles under my eyes. I have high high high hopes for this product. I posted a picture on instagram of this and someone commented saying "Garnier anti-sun is the best thing ever! I started using on my face after a summer of life guarding..it looks like I never even have been out in the sun. Also my grandmother uses it in spots that she starts to see liver/sun spots on her skin, and they are completely gone within about four weeks!" WOW, I hope to see the same results. I don't think I really realized when I was younger how bad the sun actually is, and the damage that it can do to your skin. Hopefully this will become my holy grail face lotion. Before this, I was using the Korres Wild Rose moisturizer, and not only was it pricey (around $30 USD), but it was also in a glass jar that you had to scoop out the product with your fingers, which isn't travel friendly, or very hygienic. This anti-sun damage lotion is in a plastic container with a pump which makes it both travel friendly and super hygienic as well. It is also quite a lot cheaper, running around the $12 USD price point.



Dior Creme De Rose Smoothing Plumping Lip Balm SPF 10

This was a huge splurge for me, considering the hefty $26.50 USD price tag (cringe!!) But it really has saved me this winter. A side effect of my medicine (TMI?) is dry mouth, which I have found includes dry lips, dry hair, dry skin, etc. I have literally tried everything drugstore wise to help my peeling, dry, chapped (and sometimes bleeding) lips. I tried Blistex, Carmex (made them peel worse), EOS, Burts Bees, pretty much you name it, i've tried it and NOTHING worked. Many I found actually made them feel worse. In my opinion there is absolutely nothing worse than the feeling of having dry chapped lips. One particularly bad chapped lips day, my lips were bleeding, and I had finally had enough. I had heard many times that although expensive, the Dior balm would save my lips. I marched into Sephora, and purchased this product. I haven't looked back since. My lips haven't bled, haven't really peeled, haven't even hurt since using this balm. I would love of course to find a cheaper alternative, and I have heard that NUXE does a great balm very similar to this, but should I not be able to find a good alternative, I will ABSOLUTELY repurchase this, because it has helped calm down my miserable case of chapped lips.


Fresh Sugar Berry Lip Treatment

Another lip balm that kind of goes along with the last product, is the Fresh Sugar Berry Lip treatment. I love lipstick and lip gloss, but due to my dry lips fiasco, I have trouble finding lip stick/gloss that doesn't cause my lips to peel or be even more irritated than usual. I love the look of berry lips, as I feel like they look absolutely stunning on every skin tone. The Sephora birthday gift this past year had been two mini versions of the fresh original lip treatment and the fresh rose lip treatment, and I had tried those both out and found that they were extremely soothing on my lips and didn't cause them to peel. I was in Sephora the same day that I purchased the Dior balm, and it was before Christmas so all of the amazing holiday sets were out, I was able to snag a Fresh set with a full size berry lip treatment, a fresh sugar lip scrub, and a fresh soy face cleanser for around $28 USD. Which is such a great deal since the lip treatments are typically $22.50 USD each! If you have trouble wearing lipstick/ lipgloss like I do, the Fresh treatments are the best of both worlds, they have a great color payoff, and offer a glossy finish.

 
Make Up For Ever High Definition Foundation

I'm sure you have probably heard a ton about this foundation, as it seems to be a holy grail product for most beauty bloggers and vloggers. I'm in the shade N125 Sand which is for "light skin with beige undertones". I really enjoy this product because it feels super lightweight on the skin, yet offers a medium coverage that is build-able all the way up to full coverage depending on your specific needs. It's around $42 USD, but it lasts forever, and it is the only foundation that I have found that completely matches my skin. Prior to this I had struggled to find a foundation match between NC20 and NW20 in MAC Studio Fix Fluid, and I could never really find a color that suited my skintone. I don't plan on switching foundations anytime soon, as I am really happy with the MUFE HD foundation.

Real Techniques buffing brush

This was a recent purchase, and I have only had this about 2 weeks, but from the first use, I knew that it was going to be an instant favorite. To be honest, I was skeptical to try the real techniques because I didn't believe that they could live up to the hype that they were getting in the beauty blogging world. I finally decided to take the plunge and try the real technique brushes after seeing a post on one of my favorite blogs "Couture Girl" which I will link here (An absolute must read blog in my opinion!) The real technique brushes definitely live up to the hype. I found them bogo 50% off at Ulta, and purchased the core collection and the starter kit. I have been really enjoying using the buffing brush to apply my MUFE HD foundation. It applies like a dream and really buffs the product into your skin, giving a flawless finish.

 ELF Kabuki Face brush

This was a impulse buy at Target one afternoon, after seeing it mentioned so many times on beauty blogs, and I am so grateful that I tried this brush. I've used it non stop since purchasing it to apply my MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural and it gives an even coverage. The brush itself is super soft and I haven't had a problem with it shedding whatsoever.


Revlon Age Defying Concealer in the shade "Light"

This is another product that has become a staple in my makeup bag. It is light and creamy, yet covers very nicely. I use this around my nose to conceal any redness, as well as underneath my eyes because it lightens the dark circles and is creamy and soothing for my under eye area. It has an SPF 25 which is a nice addition. The only problem with this is that I can't seem to find it anymore. I'm not sure if this is discontinued or not, but I have found a Revlon Age Defying concealer in the DNA range, so perhaps they have repackaged it? Has anyone heard? I'll be sad if yet another of my favorite products has been discontinued.

This photo wont turn either! AHHH

ELF Waterproof Eyeliner Pen in black

This is one of those $1 USD products that can be picked up at Target, and I thought at one point that I had lost my eyeliner that I love (Maybelline line stilleto) and I purchased this one before heading out to dinner one night. I didn't figure it would be that great of a product because it was only a dollar, so I didn't have high expectations at all. I was pleasantly surprised with this product. The actual applicator is a bit stiff so at times it can feel as if you are jabbing your eye, but it applies evenly and lasts all day long while still coming off relatively easy with a makeup remover wipe. 


NYX Push-Up Bra For Your Eyebrow

This double ended pencil is a brown eyebrow pencil on one side, and a peachy pink highlighter pencil on the other side. I bought this on a whim when NYX was 40% off on Cherry Culture and I have to say that I really enjoy this product. I have thick eyebrows to begin with so I don't get a ton of use out of the eyebrow pencil side (though I do occasionally use it to "tame the beasts" for a night out. ;) ) but I have used the highlighting side a ton. It is described as a "universally flattering shade" and I think that is true, because when blended out underneath they eyebrow it really does give you that million dollar arch that most woman spend so much time trying to achieve. I also use this in my inner corners to highlight and brighten up my inner eye area. I've even used this in my lower water line to really make my eyes look bright and awake. It is such a multipurpose product and I would really suggest everyone giving this a go if NYX products are available in your area. 

 

Wet n Wild megalast nail polish in 206C Undercover

This is another product that  I was skeptical about trying because anyone who knows me knows that I am somewhat of a self proclaimed "nail polish snob" tending to prefer OPI, Essie, Orly, and China Glaze over many of the cheaper alternatives. I was pleasantly surprised (seems to be a reoccurring thing! :)) with this "salon nail color", not only is the price amazing ($1.99 USD) but it has one of the wide brushes like Sally Hanson salon polishes have, which makes polishes a dream to apply. The shade Undercover is a muted nude-y pink and is appropriate for all occasions. It dries quickly and lasts days without chipping. I will definitely look into more of these megalast polishes. Does anyone have any color recommendations? 

 
Victoria's Secret PINK With A Splash wild & breezy All-over Body Mist

This little mini body mist was another impulse purchase, because on a recent trip to VS, you got a free pink dog with any PINK purchase. Being a collector of the PINK mini dogs, I of course had to find something to purchase. (How sad! HA) I have been working 12 hour days, and in the mornings, I am so tired that I literally forget to put on perfume. I had chucked this into my purse after purchasing, and it has come in handy on the days (everyday!) that I forget perfume. It is a young, summery, breezy fruity smell, and unlike some other body mists, it does linger on your skin and clothes. It is the perfect size for your handbag, and I have really enjoyed wearing it this month.

 
 Revlon Grow Luscious Plumping Mascara - in blackest black

I have mentioned this product before on my blog, and my love for it is still going strong. I've gotten my mom hooked on this mascara as well, and it's the first beauty product that I am consistently recommending to friends and family. It is readily available and easy to find at most all drugstores and it is better than most high end mascaras that I've tried. 

 

 MAC Constructivist Paint Pot

This is described on MAC's website as a Metallic brown with red pearl and a frost finish. This was the first MAC paint pot that I owned, and it is still my go-to eyeshadow base. It makes eye-shadows last longer and can even been used by itself. I recently have been enjoying wearing this by itself especially on my 12 hour days. I just smudge constructivist all over my lid and up into my crease, and it just gives a great natural color that makes you look put together on days when you aren't feeling like spending any time on your makeup. 


 Nars blush: Orgasm

Excuse my messy photo, but as you can tell, this product gets a lot of love and use. Nars orgasm is described as a "peachy pink with shimmer" which I would agree with. It has a cult following, and is loved by makeup artists everywhere, because it is said to be a universally flattering shade. I was a little nervous to try this color because I am really pale, but I have found that with a light hand, this blush can look really lovely and natural. I purchased this during the Sephora Friends & Family sale, when it was 20% off, because I couldn't justify the normal price of $28 USD. Now that I have tried a Nars blush, I can't wait to try more. (#beautybloggerprobz ;))


That concludes my favorites for the month of January, and I have also filmed a video on my January favorites to put up on my youtube channel, but I am having trouble getting it to upload. I will link it here once i've gotten it to work!

What were your favorite products of January 2013? I'd love some new product recommendations!

Have a lovely week!

xox
Erin
 
 

4 comments:

  1. I really want to try that Leave in Conditioner... I have heard great things about it. I haven't tried many products this month! You have quite a big collection. Love the Nars too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great detangler. I really would like try the kpack deep conditioner.

      Delete
  2. If you like the real techniques buffing brush then I highly recommend the expert fact brush, it gives a really beautiful finish :) I love the Make Up forever HD foundation too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely try the expert face brush. I cannot wait to try more from real techniques. It has become my go-to brand for makeup brushes. xx

      Delete